It’s already mid-August, which means summer’s
almost over, which means taking advantage of all the weekends we have left, which means time to hit the beach! Whether you grew up next to the beach or it’s a few hours away, there’s nothing like spending the day at the beach with your friends, listening to some great music, sippin’ on some beers, reading a good book/magazine, and getting your tan on.
Unfortunately, for many college girls, beach time = stress time. And with stress time comes a long rant of what to wear, what to do which eventually leads to nothing. We know that we all worry over what bikini looks best or what cover up we should use for protection, so here’s a little guide to ease you into what should be a memorable, sun-filled, fun-filled day at the beach! 🙂
Step 1: Find a super cute bikini that is body-flattering, but most importantly, makes you feel good!
There’s no use in pouting over the days you skipped the gym during the semester or convincing yourself of the self-conscious yet exaggerated reasons to not put a bikini on. Let’s face it, we are all insecure about something, and by the time beach time comes around we’re just not comfortable getting into a two piece.
Luckily, there are some really cute bathing suit trends for summer ’13 that are body-flattering, affordable and will boost your confidence! Here are three trends that we love and can’t wait to try:
The Balconette: We love this style for so many reasons, and are so happy that it’s trending! This push-up style bikini is so flattering- for the flat-chested (girls, you feeling me?!) it gives us a boost, and for the fuller-chested ladies it gives extra support. We love this Aerie balconette, not only because of the style but also for its floral print (also trendy!):
The Fringe/Ruffle: The fringe/ruffle is new this year, adding a little edge and boho chic to our bikini looks. While we love the unique look, make sure that you have a smaller/sportier body frame because the extra fringe/ruffle adds curves. There’s too many that we love:
The One-Piece: We know what you’re thinking- no one wears one-pieces anymore! But this summer, the one-piece is back, and it’s sexier than ever. Check out some of these hot styles:
Step 2: Find the perfect beach read.
While magazines are always entertaining and fun to look through, there are so many great books out there that complement the sounds of the waves and help kill time while tanning (but don’t get an awkward face tan in the process!)
1. Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg: A best-seller and widely talked about book, Lean In addresses some of the issues women face in the workplace and advises women to “lean into our ambitions”. While critics say she has a narrow, elitist point of view, we think that there are many valuable lessons to be learned from the COO of Facebook. Plus, it’s an easy read and relatable book, something intellectual yet fun for the beach!
2. And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini: You’ve definitely heard about this author before (The Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns, anyone?). Now, his long awaited third novel is finally out and it’s just as captivating and thrilling as the previous two. The book has a beautiful narrative, and while some might think it’s a bit heavy for the beach, we promise that the storyline will whisk you away.
3. It’s All Good: Delicious Easy Recipes That Will Make You Look Good and Feel Great by Gwyneth Paltrow & Julia Turshen: If you think the previous books are too heavy for the beach, pick up this delicious read! Gwyneth and Julia talk about their discovery to healthy living in journal form, while including recipes and health tips along the way. We have yet to try the recipes, but we’re betting they’re yummy (and maybe perfect for a beach snack!). Added bonus: there are several gorgeous pictures of Gwyneth- how could you resist?!
Step 3: Pack the perfect, thirst-quenching, hunger-satisfying snack.
Let’s be honest, boardwalk food choices are hard to resist (zomg funnel cake!!!) but on a college-girls’ budget, they leave our wallets empty. Jumping around in the waves and trying to perfect a spiral throw will leave you famished and dehydrated, so here are some great snack ideas that are easy to prepare, won’t have you spilling, and will still have you looking hawt in your bathing suit!
1. Who can resist some delicious kimbap? While it’s not the simplest lunch to make per se, it’s bound to be a crowd & tummy pleaser! Grab a few girls and organize a cooking party (or edumacate the boys on how to roll a
perfect kimbap roll).
2. If you’re pressed for time, Garces Trading Co. offers pre-packed picnic baskets to take! Pricey, but fit for a true foodie!
3. We gajamos girls are self-proclaimed Starbucks
addicts and our favorite drinks this summer are the Valencia Orange Refresher and Peach Green Tea Lemonade (But you can’t go wrong with Elise’s favorite iced chai or Jenny’s favorite iced green tea latte too)
Step 4: Safety — SPF Always!
We can’t stress enough how important SPF is! Tanning can be safe and fun, just try out a few creams to see which offers the perfect balance of safety and that slimming summer glow. Some of our favorites are Kiehl’s SuperFluid UV Defense SPF 50+ and Aveeno Positively Radiant Facial Cream SPF 30.
Remember to reapply every 2 hours or after you go in the water! Keeping your face protected is especially important in preventing wrinkles and sunspots.
Step 5: Have fun!
Now that you’re looking amazing, have tons of entertainment and are sippin’ & nommin’ on your favorite snacks, make sure to take lots of selfies, soak up the sun, and enjoy the rest of your summer vacay! 🙂
xoxo Elise & Jenny
ps. we love the beach from different hemispheres of the world ❤